Data concerning the church of St. Nicholas at Cholderton, Wiltshire, England
Obtained by Dr. Arthur P. Noyes on Visit to Church, August 25, 1948
The following transcription was made by me from a typewritten document courtesy of Nancy Benton. The document was obtained by Dr. Arthur P. Noyes on Visit to Church, August 25, 1948
The original church of which William and Nathan Noyes (father and brother of James and Nicholas Noyes) were rectors is supposed to have been constructed by the Saxons and therefore to have antedated the Normans. The following is copied from the Church records:
“The Church of St. Nicholas, Chelderton, was given to the Monks of St. Neats about 1175 and the grant was confirmed by Pope Alexander III.” The first incumbent under the Salisbury diocese was Stephen C. Feron (1297). The old church was 40’2″ by 16’3″.
In 1840 Rev. Thomas Mozley, who had been rector since 1836, stated that the old church was inadequate and uncomfortable and applied for permission to enlarge the churchyard and to build a new church beside the old to make himself responsible for the cost which amounted to over 6000 pounds, “to which the founder contributed more than 5000 pounds earned mostly by the labour of his own pen.” (Rev. Mozely wrote leaders for the London Times and, it is understood, subsequently resigned the rectorship to join the Times.) The size and shape of the new church was determined by a previously used roof which Mozley learned was available and then lying on docks at Ipswich. Folloing the termination of its need for use in such a structure it lay unused until placed on the new church structure. Mozley was a great advocate of free trade. Carved on the pew ends are to be noted figures of wheat, hops, blackberries, pears, strawberries, a dove, sheep, cow and horse, representing the free gifts of God.
On the altar the central candle bears this inscription: “To the Glory of God and the memory of Rev. William Noyes, Rector of Cholderton, 1602-1616. This gift is made by his descendants, Easter, 1894.”
The communion plate and chalice used each Sunday in the church bear the following inscription: “From descendants of Rev. William Noyes, Oxford, 1592. James Atkins Noyes, A.B., Harvard 1883, and Penelope Barker Noyes.”
The foundation stone of the present church was laid April 29, 1841, by Harriet Elizabeth, wife of the rector Thomas Mozley. It was consecrated April 10, 1850, by Edward Denison, Bishop of Salisbury. Was dedicated in the name of St. Nicholas. Mrs. Mozley, the wife of the rector, was a sister of Cardinal John Henry Newman. The present rector stated that Newman, who had not then become Catholic, was present at the laying of the corner stone. They were children of John and Jemima Newman. She was their eldest daughter. Mrs. Mozley was buried beneath the church.
The east window of three lights was given by Rev. James Frezer when rector. He later became bishop of Nanchester (?). The window was in honor of his two brothers, one a merchant, the other a lawyer. In the centre
page 2 (part of the left side cut off)
(is) a medallion of St. Nicholas showing the legend of the raising of the (…)ldren from the Salting Tub. In the lower compartments of the side lights (…) representations of the faithful centurion and of the lawyers.
At the left as one enters the church is an old tabel, presumably once (…)d as a Communion tabled. Its carvings show Norman arches and presumably (…)es from Norman times. Standing there also is an ancient stone baptism (…)t. It is not used now. There is the following sketch concerning it: (…)is ancient Font, after standing in the Churchyard for 73 years, marking (…) position of the west door of the Old Norman Church, was moved to its (…)sent site in February 1924. The cost of the removal was borne by (…)ldren and grandchildren of Mrs. Mary Rapall Noyes Gardner of Newburyport, (…)sachsetts, U.S.A., who was a direct descendant of the Rev. William (…)es, Rector of the Parish, 1601-1621.”
While there are very old grave markers in the Churchyard there are none (…)wn to bear the name Noyes. On many stones the names are so effaced as (…) be no longer legible. The records of the church state that Nathan Noyes, (…)ther of James and Nicholas, and successor of his father, William, as (…)tor state that he was buried at Salisbury. These records state that the (…)lowing is the inscription on his tombstone: “Here lyeth interred the (…)y of Mr. Nathan Noyes, a godly, painful and constant preacher of God’s (…)d at West Choldrington (sic) in this County for the space of 32 years, who (…)arted this Life the 6th day of September, an. Do. 1651, his age was (…)re 54 years.”
The tablet in the church showing a list of rectors who have served it (…)res the following:
1601. William Noyes – Giles Hutchins
1603. William Noyes – George Kingswill
1621. Nathan Noyes – Lord(?) Edward Zouch
The following is copied from a letter addressed to Rev. Frank McGowan, present rector of the church of St. Nicholas: “Cholderton was the ‘Tun (…) Ceolhere’s (or Ceolred’s) people.’ In Domesday Book it is Celdrintone (…) Celdretone. In 1175 Pipe Rolls it is Cheldrintone and in Curia Regis (…)ls, 1203, it is Cheldringet(on).” There is another Cholderton in (…)pshire.
About opposite the lane which leads from the main road to the church (…) is a large house located on the estate which formerly belonged to lady (…)son. This was not the wife of Lord Nelson but a sister. Lord Nelson (…)t no children. On his death therefore his title passed to his brother. (…)s brother, not having children, the title passed to his sister and from (…) to her son. The rector pointed out to me the coat of arms of the Nelson (…)ily in the church. The church records state: “Frances Elizabeth, (…)ager Countess Nelson, gave 28 (?) perches of … for school.”