Samuel Durant on THE PRIMITIVE EXPOUNDER, 1880

HISTORY
OF
INGHAM AND EATON COUNTIES
MICHIGAN
WITH
ILLUSTRATIONS AND BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES
OF THEIR
PROMINENT MEN AND PIONEERS
By
SAMUEL DURANT

Philadelphia
D. W. Ensign & Co.
1880

THE PRIMITIVE EXPOUNDER.

This paper was originally established at Ann Arbor, Mich., in 1844, by Billings & Thornton. It was a small quarto in form, with two columns to the page, and issued semi-monthly. As its name indicates, it was a religious paper, and devoted to the interests of the Universalist denomination of Christians. The second volume was published at “Alphadelphia” to which place it had been removed by the publishers. The office did not continue long at this place, being removed to Jackson, Mich., some time in 1845.

In 1846, J. H. Sanford, now of Berlin, Ottawa Co., Mich., to whom we are indebted for the information here given, purchased the interest of Mr. Billings, when the paper was removed to Ann Arbor and published by Thornton & Sanford. In 1848, Mr. Sanford became sole proprietor, and in the same year removed the office to Lansing, Mich.

The first issue of the paper in Lansing was on the 1st of January, 1849. With the commencement of Volume VI at Lansing the paper was issued weekly in quarto form, and continued until 1852, when it was merged in the “Star in the West”, then published in Chicago, we believe. Mr. Sanford continued in the editorial department for one year after this change, when he severed his connection.

* * * * *

Note: Samuel Durant was incorrect on the paper being moved to Jackson in 1845. It was in April of 1846.

Leave A Comment

Recent Comments