James HENNESY was born 4 Jan 1839, the 1st son and 4th of 5 children to Isaac HENNESY and Judith Ann GILL.
On 19 March 1868, at about 29 years of age, James married Nancy Caroline WELCH who was 20, born 9 Feb 1848. She was the 1st daughter and 3rd of 5 children born to James Daniel WELCH and Caroline BULLOCK.
Between 1868 and 1886 James and Nancy would have 9 children, 2 of whom died in infancy or early childhood:
- Nancy Ellen HENNESY b. 31 Dec. 1868, LA, died 9 Dec. 1932 at El Paso, El Paso Co., Texas at about 64. She married, 14 Jan 1888 at Amite, Tangipahoa, LA, James E. BONDS, son of Frank BONDS. A child was Emmy BONDS who married Willy GRAY and died in 1985. Source: Curtis Hennesy
- Cora M. HENNESY b. unknown, d. 11 Feb. 1918. married on 18 Feb. 1907 Ronald A. WALKER. They had Mae Idelia WALKER b. 17 Nov 1909 died 1983; Acy WALKER b. 8 Aug. 1911; and Ocy WALKER b. 13 July 1913. SOURCE: Nancy Hennesy bible.
- Marion Isaac HENNESY, b. 3 May 1871 at Tangipahoa Parish LA., died 1 Nov 1948 in Houston, Harris Co., Texas, at 77. On 2 Feb 1893 he married (1) Fanny Samantha CROW and (2) Maude Edith CORKERN.
- James Leon HENNESY b. 4 May 1873 married Lucy Virginia MYLES.
- Laura Jane HENNESY, b. 16 Feb. 1875, d. 13 Apr. 1935 at 60, married on 5 Sept. 1898, Andrew Jackson DAVIS b. 4 June 1861, died 13 Jan. 1924. He was the son of James DAVIS and Rachel. Together they had Della Monetta DAVIS and Etta DAVIS. Source: Marriage from Nancy Hennesy Bible. Children’s names from James Guy, descendant. firstname.lastname@example.org Jan 2002.
- Meredith Bunyan HENNESY, b. 5 Nov. 1876, d. 2 March 1933 at abt. 57, maried Lular R., b. 26 Jan. 1882, d. May 1971 at about 89. They had 4 children: Ila Norman b. 1904; Lubie H. b. 1907 died 1977; Aubrey E. b. 1912 died 1982, and Ruby b. 1919. A newspaper article featuring Ila may be seen here. Lular and Meredith are both buried at the Stony Point Cemetery, Junction Of La Hwy 10 & La Hwy 450, Behind Stoney Point Missionary Baptist Church.
- Addie H. HENNESY, b. 17 Nov. 1878, died 3 June 1911 at about 33. On 12 Jan 1905 she married John GIVENS. Addie is buried at the Hennesy Cemetery.
- Norman HENNESY, b. 5 April 1881, died 5 April 1885 on his 4th birthday. Norman is buried at the Hennesy Cemetery.
- Della HENNESY, b. 28 Feb. 1885, died 16 Sept. 1887 at about 1 and 1/2 years of age. She is buried at the Hennesy Cemetery.
James and Nancy Hennesy settled in Washington Parish, Louisiana. James was a farmer. Ethel (Simmons) Hennesy wrote, “Nancy may have been part Indian, Cherokee.”
Curtis Hennesy wrote that James may have been born in Natchez, MS or Marion County, MS. He gives that “C.C.S”s letter” says they lived in Bailey’s Mill, 1st Ward, which is near old Nebo Church in what is now Tangipahoa Parish.
James H. was a private in Company E, 3rd (Wingfields) Battalion, Louisiana Cavvlry. He enlisted May 01, 1862, at Camp Moore, LA. (Tangipahoa station). On roll to June 30, 1862. An Internet search shows:
James Hennesy, private in Company E, Regiment 3, Cavalry, birthday January 2, 1840, died October 3, 1911, Parish Tangipahoa, Cemetery code LA-AAA-09 (Hennessey cemetery, located on the banks of the Tchefuncte River, below Mt. Hermon). EVEN: _DATE2 30 JUN 1862
This online roster of the 3d Louisiana Cavalry, C. S. A., also known as the 1st Louisiana Cavalry Regiment, Partisan Rangers; 9th Louisiana Cavalry Battalion, Partisan Rangers or Wingfield’s Cavalry, shows James HENNESY. It also supplies a history.
Curtis noted that James and Nancy’s house was between the Hennesy store (Stoney Point) and Lular’s house. A tornado in 1912 blew the house down.
I have thus far only located James and Nancy in the following census:
1870 LOUISIANA TANGIPAHOA PARISH CENSUS WARD 2
In this census we find James and Nancy living between Isaac HENNESY, James’ father, and James Daniel WELCH, Nancy Caroline’s father.
pg. 138 2 W. Tangipahoa (ancestry.com 128)
SINSEY William 45 (b) farmer b. VA and Millie and family
ELLIS Maria 40 (b) farming b. MS (and family)
PEAK Chapman 48 Farmer b. MS (and Eliza and family)
Patsy 16 (b) servant
Benton 9 (b) servant
HENNESSEY Isaac 65 b. GA
Judy 65 b. GA
HENNESSEY James 26 farming RE value $600 personal $640 b. MS
Nancy 22 b. LA
Hellan 2 b. LA
WELCH Jam. D. 58 farmer $1500 $1135 b. MS
Caroline 54 b. GA
William H. 24 b. LA
Edward E. 18
BURKHALTER M. (f) 20 (mulatto) b. LA
Rosa A. 2 (mulatto) b. LA
Charles? J. 2/12 (mulatto) b. LA
270/270 HOTTEN Andrew 65 farmer $6000 $665 b. NC
Mary 55 b. GA
Susan 5 b. LA
1880 Ward 4, Tangipahoa, Louisiana
11 66 ENNIS James wm 40
Nancy wf 32
Ellen wf 11
Marion wm 9
Leon wm 7
Laura wf 5
Merida wm 3
Adda wf 1
PASMAN Gid (or Sid) wm 25 Labors on Farm b. LA parents b. LA
James and Nancy appear to be living in a rooming house or apartment situation in 1910?
1910 District 24, Police Jury Ward 1, Washington, Louisiana
66/70 Stevens Dick ? R. and Evie and family
66/71 Walker Rudolph A. and Cora and family
66/72 Hennesy, James L. 70 b. LA parents b. LA farmer
Nancy C. 62 b. LA parents b. LA
James HENNESY died 2 Oct 1911 at about 72. Nancy Caroline WELCH died 6 Nov 1925 at about 77.
Curtis Hennesy gathered the birth and death dates for James and Nancy from headstones in the Hennesy Cemetery.
A headstone in the Hennesy cemetery shows Della Hennesy born February 28, 1885, and died September 16, 1887. She is probably a child of James and Nancy.